Applying for pan card online is an easy and hassle-free process. You can either request for a physical copy or an e-PAN card. There are many options available for those living in India as well as those living abroad. The procedure to apply and follow-up is very straightforward and involves filling up a form with all the correct details.
If you are not sure about any details, check them up or call any of the numbers mentioned towards the end for clarity. Never submit any wrong or half-baked information. While filling the form, make sure you have all the documents handy with you and then only start the process. Check for internet connection as well.
If this is your first time, here are guidelines or steps to apply for pan card online –
1. Fill the Form 49A and submit it after checking the information.
2. If there are errors shown on the page, correct them and re-submit the form.
3. Once all errors are corrected, the user will be redirected to a confirmation screen which will have all the data entered previously. The applicant can edit the form. If no changes, confirm the same.
4. Upon confirmation, an acknowledgment receipt will be shown. This is an important screen having a unique 15-digit number. Applicants should save and print this acknowledgment for future references.
5. Only those PAN applicants who have a valid Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) issued by authorized Certifying Authority (CA) in India can apply pan card online using this facility. Only a valid class II or III DSC is acceptable.
6. For individual applicants, the DSC of the applicant is required and is used to sign the application digitally. In such a case, where the applicant cannot apply directly (example minor or differently abled), DSC of the parent or guardian whose details have been given in the ‘Representative Assessee’ section of the application should be used.
7. The digital signature should have the name of the applicant or the Representative Assessee as in the application form.
8. All the applicants should already have scanned copy of photograph, signatures and necessary documents like proof of identity (POI)/Proof of address (POA)/Proof of Date of Birth (PODB) handy. The specifications for the scanned documents should be as below –
• Photograph – colour photo with 200 DPI resolution, in JPEG format, maximum 20KB size, dimensions should be 3.5×2.5cms.
• Signature – colour scan with 200 DPI resolution, in JPEG format, maximum 10KB size, dimensions should be 2×4.5cms.
• Supporting documents – black and white with 200 DPI resolution, in JPEG or PDF/A format, maximum 300KB/page.
9. There are 3 modes of payment for the application – net banking, credit card, and debit card all of which are absolutely secure.
10. The application fees is as follows –
S. No. Criteria Fees ( ) Total ( )
1 Dispatch of physical PAN card to Indian address 86+15.48 (GST@18%) 101
2 Dispatch of physical PAN card to a foreign address (outside India) 857 + 154 (GST@18%) 1011
3 Dispatch of e-PAN card to Indian address 56 + 10 (GST@18%) 66
4 Dispatch of e-PAN card to foreign address (outside India) 56 + 10 (GST@18%) 66
11. For DSC based application, there is no need to send any physical documents to NSDL e-Gov. However, if there are any discrepancies in the application as reported by NSDL e-Gov, the applicant will have to submit further supporting documents and clarifications to NSDL e-Gov at its address mentioned below.
• In cases where original documents need to be submitted as per Rule 114(4) of Income Tax Rules, 1962 will still be needed to be forwarded in physical form for DSC based PAN applications that are made online using DSC.
• The documents mentioned above are required to be forwarded in its original form to NSDL e-Gov at below given address for processing such DSC based PAN applications.
12. For further information or clarification, you can do the following –
• Call PAN/TDS Call Centre at 020 – 27218080; Fax: 020 – 27218081
• e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
• SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No. & send to 57575 to obtain application status.
• Write to: INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT (Managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited), 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016